HideMyAss works to offer fastest service by industry standards.
• Speed will always vary by location but many report 80+ ping, down load speeds averaging 6-7 mbps and upload speeds averaging 3mbps.
• A speed guide is available to customers to help them test download and upload times on each of the available servers.
• Users are routed to the fastest VPN server available automatically but they are still encouraged to run the speed test frequently to determine how accurate their readings are.
• The system also includes an automatic load balancing program which will filter users to the least loaded HMA VPN servers within a defined group or country. This helps to ensure that you get enough resources for any kind of activity that you might need.
It is generally recommended that users use OpenVPN whenever possible but if your primary focus is speed then you can alter your settings to TCP or UDP port which use less resources.
Unlike other VPN services, it’s been noted that HideMyAss can be used across multiple devices at the same time.
Internet able TV
The HideMyAss software is also compatible with iOS, PC, Mac and Android devices so you can use one subscription to power all of your devices at once.
A HideMyAss Review should note that the company follows all major VPN protocols that are considered standard in the industry
• OpenVPN, L2TP and PPTP protocols are available. The user determines which settings they use to share their data online.
• OpenVPN from HideMyAss uses industry-standard cryptography from their library to authenticate and encrypt data.
OpenVPN is available through HMA or VPN software clients for Windows. You can access this through “Tunnelblick” for those using the software via Mac.
There is some basic logging which HideMyAss uses to monitor their customers.
• Sign in and sign out times are managed with every session, though HideMyAss claims that they do not track specific activity during this time.
• All login information and personal information needed to start your account is kept on file.
Cookie data is logged during use to monitor the quality of service when individuals visit the HideMyAss website.
Any personal data which is stored by HideMyAss remains secure on their servers and can be transferred within the European Economic Area.
• Registration info including email address, user name, IP address and password. Your password is kept encrypted. This is used for fraud and abuse prevention or sending email updates.
• Payment information based on the payment method you choose, address and credit card information. Credit card information is not stored after payments are processed.
• Time stamps of IP addresses when individuals log in and out as well as which VPN servers were used. This is used to track performance and all data is deleted from HideMyAss servers after 2-3 months unless it is requested by authorities for legal reasons.
• The time of email registration, anonymous email address established through the website, password and all emails stored by the customer on the server. Emails are not stored for more than 2 years and will be removed if they are deleted by the user. This information will only be shared as part of a legal investigation.
• Premium service data collected includes an email address to deliver a receipt, port proxy list and payment information. This will be used to send transaction and proxy information to the user as well as sending email updates. Any information not directly used for accounting purposes will be deleted from the HideMyAss servers after 2 years.
For the most part users are satisfied with the privacy settings set by HideMyAss, but BestVPNService Magazine has noted that some question how anonymous their activity truly is on these servers if cookie and IP address information is logged with each session.
Torrenting or P2P activity is not specifically outlined on the HideMyAss website, though there are no specific restrictions placed on these activities for those that are interested in using them.
• Software such as BitTorrent is compatible with the software that manages HideMyAss activity.
• You will need to monitor your connectivity carefully as your IP address will immediately become visible after your VPN service disconnects.
HideMyAss does offer a Secure IP Bind tool which can be used to ensure that websites, such as BitTorrent clients, can only connect through your VPN. This will help ensure that your IP address is not accidentally exposed when you are performing activities that need to be kept private.
At this time this feature is only available for Windows users but there are firewall settings available through Mac which could offer similar results.